View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2017-06-25 14:14:44

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Any Entry-Level CS Patent Attorney/ Agent Jobs on East Coast 

I've been vigorously searching for an IP job since taking and passing the Patent Bar in July (on the first attempt). Pretty much every position I have found seems to want 1 year of patent experience, which I don't have.

I passed the patent bar in July (on my first attempt). I am starting to believe that entry level jobs don't actually exist, and I am caught in the catch-22 of needing patent experience to get hired, but I can't get hired to get that patent experience. The only patent experience I have is past law school summer clerkships in Intellectual Property with two big law firms. For the past few years I have been practicing as a real estate litigator.

I've been looking all over the east coast and I am coming up empty. My area preferences are New York and the Washington D.C. area, both because of family ties. While I am looking for a position, I am brushing up on my computer science skills and have bought several patent books to get a head start in my new craft, such as “Patents and the Federal Circuit”, “Patent It Yourself”, and “Invention Analysis and Claiming: A Patent Lawyer's Guide”. I even purchased the 2007 Condensed Patent Law Digest “Chisum on Patent Law” Volumes. Are there any opportunities available for a new Patent Attorney/ Patent Agent with a background in CS?

My Background:
Education:
JD 2007 (average grades) - Top twenty-five law school; BS in CS 2004 (High Honors),

Bar Memberships:
New York, Florida, and passed Patent Bar exam(awaiting admittance)

Experience:
2.3 Years Real Estate Litigator
2 Years Contract Attorney
1 semester Adjunct Professor

2012-08-27 20:18:41

Hi CCD,

I can't help you with a job offer (wish I could), but you may want to consider the USPTO. Now I'm an oldie-goldie, but about 100 years ago when I was first starting out in the early 80's, the job situation was pretty bleak and I also had the "come back when you have experience" experience. I joined the PTO (had passed the state bar) and was an examiner for two years.

Now my experience there was not particularly enjoyable (I actually enjoyed examining, but the PTO was a horrible place to work), however you do learn prosecution, and you do get a lot of practical valuable experience!! In other words, it's a good place to be out of. As I understand it, with the economy being so dismal, these days it's a much harder place to get out of, but I still believe that it beats trying to crack patent law from the total outside.

Good luck! And let us know when something good happens!

2012-08-30 00:32:27

Hi Killer 102 Bee,

Thanks for the suggestion. I actually did apply to be a Patent Examiner before the post ended. The only thing I know so far is my application has been received. Yes, this market is pretty bleak.

Thank you for just wishing you could offer me a job. Even though you are not able to, it is appreciated that you would even think in that regard. I would also love to send you my resume on the off chance you may happen to come across an oppurtunity.

I will of course post if once something good happens!

2012-09-11 09:51:02

Even the USPTO is pretty bleak odds right now. I applied last Spring (bachelor's and master's in CS, plus JD). They kept extending the deadline, so I figured they weren't getting enough applications and that my odds were decent. Well, they must have had plenty of supplicants after all, because although I was deemed "qualified", they decided that I didn't have enough "points" to be interviewed.

FWIW, I already did have experience as a tech spec.

2012-09-14 00:11:56

I too am looking for a full-time position as a Patent Agent and since passing the patent bar exam in mid-july 2012 I have been looking for a position in this very grueling economy and I keep getting back the standard response from HR "You have extraordinary credentials but we cant offer you an interview at this moment". What does it really take to get ones career jump-started in intellectual property ? I have a masters from Denmark and have 8 years of progressive experience from industry. I am fluent in Danish, English, Turkish and proficient in French. I would gladly enhance my background and education level by either going to law school part-time in the evening if I can just land that first job and be allowed to get the experience. I do not want to finance further education myself. I have drafted and filed one patent application for a product I developed as a research scientist. At the moment I am working with multiple recruiters on Linkedin spread around the country and I am willing to relocate anywhere given the it is the right opportunity. I have had one phone interview with Landon but did not get the position as I think I was overqualified. Besides it was a patent analyst position and I want to pursue a career as patent agent where I can learn about new technologies and draft applications. I know one way to get experience is to become an examiner first but in my case that is not possible as I am not US citizen but am a greencard holder. I live in New York . Any ideas, contacts or information are welcome.
Best regards the optimist.

2012-11-08 15:58:58
Patent Practitioner

My advice, which is to stop looking at firms at to start focusing the job search on in-house positions, is informed only by my educated guess as to what's going on on the other side.

As I have come to understand the situation:

With the exception of IP boutiques (which, notably, are on the decline), law firms see IP prosecution practice as insufficiently profitable, with margins too low to justify the overhead of offices and salaries and printers for patent agents and prosecution patent attorneys.

Those that do provide prosecution do so only as a convenience to their clients, a bullet point on their list of services on their web site, a way of keeping within the firm patent-knowledgeable staff who can provide occasional low-cost support on higher-margin litigation. A law firm with a patent prosecution department is like a grocery store with milk in the fridge. The milk may be sold at a loss, but if you don't sell the milk, a lot of your customers will decide to go elsewhere, 'cause, you know, they occasionally do buy milk. Many big law firms, and many of the most prestigious, do virtually no patent prosecution.

Thus, no law firm will hire an inexperienced agent, when there are plenty of agents with experience to hire. When they do need an agent, which is rare, they will look to someone who can be productive immediately, without a large amount of supervision and training.

In-house at high tech firms, things may be different. There, it is useful to have on staff practitioners who can handle the prosecution load without farming it out to law firms that will have to charge double in order to feed the partners' shares.

So my suggestion is to make a list of tech companies, big and small, with reliable prosecution loads that you would like to work for and just start knocking on doors (literally) and introducing yourself. Explain how you would be a valuable addition to their prosecution team or, if they don't have a prosecution team already, how you could help lower their costs by doing them in-house.

Good luck in your search.

2012-11-09 15:18:50
Patent Practitioner

One other suggestion, if you are taking law school seriously. If your LSAT score is good, there will be a school out there somewhere that will offer you a full scholarship. Enrollment is way down right now, and third-tier schools that provide excellent educations are in dire need of good applicants. You will be able to pass the bar in a few years without taking on debt.

2012-11-09 15:26:24
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]