View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2017-08-17 08:25:52

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Going from ID to IP? 

Next year I will be graduating with a B.S. in Industrial Design. I would like to move into the field of patent law but I am not sure if an ID Background will position me for a career in patent law the way an Engineering degree would. Is there anyone on this forum who has experience transitioning from an Industrial Design background into a career in patent law, or does anyone know of somebody in theirs or other firms who have a B.S. in ID? Would I likely have to pursue a subsequent engineering degree prior to applying to law school in order to make myself attractive to employers?

I really hope to hear from someone with experience in Industrial Design but all comments and recommendations are welcome and of course much appreciated.

2012-08-16 20:10:02

Nobody knows anything about this topic?

2012-08-24 13:53:50
Patent Practitioner

Are you planning on working on utility patents or design patents? How are your illustration/CAD skills?

2012-08-24 18:04:25

I suppose that I would like to be able to work on either design or utility patents (Is it normal to specialize in just one of these?). As for illustration and CAD, I am quite skilled at both - probably much more so than the majority of engineers with similar experience. However, the illustration that I learn and practice in school is almost all perspective or ortho rendering, and much more concerned with expressing a concept than technical accuracy. I do know all of the basics of mechanical drawing and drafting.

2012-08-26 20:08:11
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]