View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2017-10-21 01:35:15

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 An amusing trade dress situation 

As some of you may recall, Coca-Cola (owner of the "Simply" line of juices) sued PepsiCo (owner of Tropicana) over the packaging for the "Trop50" line of juices. I think it was last year, maybe a little more than that.

The "Simply" line came in a plastic carafe with a green cap. The bottle shape was sort of squared-off when viewed from the base.

Then Tropicana came out with their new Trop50 brand -- in a bottle that looked remarkably similar to Simply's (more curvy, but still a clear plastic carafe), and had a green cap.

Coke sued Pepsi on a bunch of different issues, including the trade-dress issue of whether the packaging was so similar as to be confusing. I never heard the results, but Tropicana's cap suddenly changed to an orange color, so I assume they either settled, lost, or decided to back off.

This morning, I went into the grocery store, and saw the new bottles from Minute Made (owned by Coca-Cola) -- a clear plastic bottle with an orange cap! :)

Definitely a different shape and shade, but . . . I think someone at Coca-Cola was having some fun the day they chose the packaging. :D

We'll see how it goes!

2012-04-20 18:24:58
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]