View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2017-08-20 14:04:10

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Welcome to IPtalk.pro! - about this forum 
Patent Practitioner

This is a forum for discussion of intellectual property law and related topics. The principal focus is domestic U.S. patent, copyright, and trademark law, but international IP topics are fair game as well. It's also a great place to learn about becoming involved in IP professionally, either as an examiner or as a practitioner. Our goal is to be the best place on the Internet for IP folks to talk shop, and for those new to IP to ask questions of the experts: a place that is spam-free, downtime-free, and troll-free.

As the ".pro" top-level domain is meant to indicate, this is a forum for professional discussion. IP professionals and non-professionals alike are welcome to participate, but all remarks must observe professional decorum and courtesy. Members are welcome to post anonymously under their favorite handles, but should treat everything they write as if it would be associated with their real names. Posts presented in violation of this requirement will be deleted. All users must be treated, and must treat others, with dignity and respect. Naked insults of other forum members may result in an immediate and permanent ban.

Unless expressly stated otherwise, nothing posted to this forum constitutes legal advice. No poster should treat the discussion here as legal advice. There is no substitute for seeking the advice and/or representation of an experienced IP practitioner.

Messages that are non-substantive will generally be removed. This rule especially applies to messages that merely advertise products or services (aka "spam"). Users who contribute substantively, however, are welcome to advertise their firms, web sites, services or products in their signatures, so long as such ads are not unduly large or distracting.

The language of this forum is English; discussions that take place largely in languages other than English may be removed, unless they are clearly not spam.

Administrators may edit thread titles to improve search visibility.

New members' first three posts will require a moderator to approve them before they become visible.

If you would like a change in your "rank"--the designation that appears near your name when you post--just post a request in this thread. Currently available ranks are:

• Creative Thinker - for members who do not hold any intellectual property, but may someday
  • Author - for members who have fixed a creative work in a tangible medium of expression
  • Inventor - for members who are named inventors on at least one U.S. or foreign patent (requesters need not give patent numbers)
  • Trademark Holder - for members who hold a trademark, registered or otherwise
  • Assignee - for members who are owners of interests in copyrights, trademarks, or patents
  • Student - for members currently attending school
  • Law Student - for members currently attending law school
  • Law Clerk - for members who are not attorneys but who work in a legal field
  • Law Professor - for members who are legal academics
  • Patent Practitioner - for registered patent attorneys or patent agents (requesters need not give their registration numbers)
  • IP Attorney - for members who are practicing attorneys and whose practice involves in substantial part IP issues
  • Attorney - for members who are practicing attorneys but whose practice does not substantially involve IP issues
  • Patent Examiner - for members currently employed at the USPTO as patent examiners (requesters need not give a TC number or any identifying information)
  • Former Patent Examiner - for members previously employed by the USPTO in the examination of patents
  • Trademark Examining Attorney - for members currently employed at the USPTO in the examination of trademarks
  • Former Trademark Examining Attorney - for members previously employed by the USPTO as trademark examiners
  • USPTO Employee - for any employees of the USPTO
  • Copyright Examiner - for members currently employed at the Library of Congress in the examination of copyrights
  • Former Copyright Examiner - for members previously employed by the Library of Congress as copyright examiners

Ranks are voluntary, but helpful in identifying members' posting interests and levels of expertise, so they are encouraged. A rank will not be added for you unless you unambiguously request one of the above ranks by posting to this thread (sorry, the forum software doesn't let you change your own rank). The ranks are designed to encompass the set of actors in the IP protection process. Suggestions for other ranks will be entertained, but not every suggestion may be implemented so as to avoid the proliferation of numerous custom ranks.

Suggestions for this forum should be left in this thread.

IPtalk.pro uses the fast, reliable hosting of Doctor PC.

2011-12-25 13:27:38

Looks good. I hope it takes off.

2011-12-29 10:33:04

I too hope it works out here. Today, I deleted about 100 of over 700 spam posts from a single user at the "old" place. I tried to participate in the forums after so much deleting, but I can see that the forums are unusable until the remaining spam is deleted. Ugh....

2012-01-02 14:17:32
Profile WWW

JimIvey wrote:
I too hope it works out here. Today, I deleted about 100 of over 700 spam posts from a single user at the "old" place. I tried to participate in the forums after so much deleting, but I can see that the forums are unusable until the remaining spam is deleted. Ugh....

thanks, that was getting out of hand

2012-01-02 19:55:18

It is bad over at the other forum. There were 28 pages of spam, most all of it was by a single username.

2012-01-03 08:39:57

I take it you're not going to create lots of subforums like on IPL? I'd actually prefer the simpler organization that exists here now. Might want to add a Trade Secrets forum and a metaforum for suggestions.

It's unfortunate that there is a lot of useful stuff on IPL that I assume can't be migrated here, certainly not easily in a technical sense, and of course then there're the copyright issues.

2012-01-09 20:34:04
Patent Practitioner

I'm open to suggestions re: forum structure and will modify it to whatever seems to make the most sense. I'll create a forum for trade secret discussion soon. I might re-install the whole forum this weekend in order to make sure the SEO mod works, so anyone who has registered might have to re-register. [done]

2012-01-09 22:27:24

I spoke with George last night. He's been really busy. Apparently, he hosts the site on hardware he maintains himself. He plans to spend about a month upgrading the hardware and OS and forum software -- including upgrading the forum software to the most recent version and installing the mod to leverage from crowd-sourced spam-killing via stopforumspam.com. I looked for a comparable mod for this software, but didn't see one.

Eventually, the old place might be functional again. Right now, I'm grateful to have this place.

Regards.

2012-01-10 12:12:25
Profile WWW

Looks like he's taken it offline until he can do the upgrade. Argh.

2012-01-10 17:36:10

Robert, I'd send this as a PM (or IM, or whatever it's called on this version of phpBB), but there doesn't seem to be a way to do it; when I click on your profile, the area under "Contact Robert K S" is empty, no links or buttons or anything.

I think I mentioned before (over on IPL, in a PM to one of the folks trying to start an unspammed forum -- might have been to Klav, though), the hard part is getting traffic to a new forum. IPL has the advantage of having been around for years, so there are lots of links to it from other places on the web. I really don't know how to get that process started, though. Spamming other forums . . . well, they generally wouldn't appreciate that. It looks like Google *has* found the site, though -- the front page, under "who is online", had a Google-bot listed the other night.

2012-01-13 17:01:40
Patent Practitioner

My guess is that you're not allowed to send PMs before the "three-post probation" is up. Pretty effective anti-spam.

What's interesting is, I think most of the new traffic to IPL is by people who Google "patent forum" and end up at a version of the site that's 2 generations old.

2012-01-13 21:36:07

It seems that I cannot quote anyone. Am I missing something?

2012-01-19 01:02:55
Patent Practitioner

klaviernista wrote:
It seems that I cannot quote anyone. Am I missing something?

Weird. Do you see a quote button? Upper right-hand corner of posts? Or does it not appear for you?

2012-01-19 09:07:01

I don't see the quote button. All I see is an upside down triangle with an exclamation point - to report this post.

2012-01-19 13:44:23

I do not see a quote button either. I am pretty sure I remembered seeing it early on, but it isn't there now.

2012-01-19 15:12:26
Patent Practitioner

The "report post" button is on the lower right-hand corner, whereas I see the quote button in the upper right-hand corner. I'll try to figure this out. Thanks for your patience with the kinks in this early phase.

2012-01-19 16:21:27
Patent Practitioner

Okay, I think I figured it out. It was a styles issue. The default style for this board is supposed to be eTech (more of a grayish-blue and dark blue color scheme). Everyone who registered was supposed to be seeing the eTech style by default. That was true until I upgraded the forum to the new version. Everyone who has registered since Karen blogged about IPtalk.pro has received the default style prosilver (more of a bright blue and pastel blue color scheme). If you currently have the prosilver style, you have the option of changing to the eTech style by going to User Control Panel > Board preferences tab > My board style: > eTech. Or you can keep the prosilver style.

It seems that anyone using prosilver will be missing the quote button, a bug that should now be fixed. Is anyone using the eTech style not seeing the quote button?

2012-01-20 10:03:47

Robert K S wrote:
It seems that anyone using prosilver will be missing the quote button, a bug that should now be fixed. Is anyone using the eTech style not seeing the quote button?

Yup, working now.

2012-01-20 11:27:38
Patent Practitioner

Please indicate me as a Patent Practitioner.

2012-01-20 17:58:02
IP Attorney

Indicate me as an IP attorney too, thanks. :evil: I hope the forum takes off. I have always wondered why most of the best IP discussions online occur in the comment sections of blogs and not in forums, which are much more conducive to such disucssions.

2012-01-25 15:53:29
Patent Practitioner

Spread the word--tweet, facebook-link, and e-mail your colleagues! Thanks!

2012-01-25 17:28:06

Robert K S wrote:
Spread the word--tweet, facebook-link, and e-mail your colleagues! Thanks!

Huzzah! The quote button now works!

I just sent a quick note about the site to my linked-in connections. Most of them are IP geeks like us, so hopefully traffic starts to pick up. It would be nice to get the community rolling again, especially with the refreshing lack of spam.

2012-01-26 00:09:38

I didn't know where to put this topic since I couldn't find an appropriate category, but is iptalk.pro the same as intelproplaw.com?

I definitely missed intelproplaw.com after it went off-line.

I really hope that iptalk.pro will categorize the forum similar to intelproplaw.com.

Also, will there be a jobs section on iptalk.pro as well?

Thanks.

2012-01-27 15:41:26
Patent Practitioner

Do you have any suggestions for how to categorize the forums? The old place had too many forums for my taste, and most of them got no traffic, so I tried to pare the menu down a bit. I think the best place to post about jobs would be in the Practitioner Forum. Unless you want a job as an examiner or BPAI judge, in which case, there's the USPTO Forum.

2012-01-27 17:32:31
Patent Practitioner

I do believe I am ready for a promotion and that my rank should be 'patent practitioner' .... :)

2012-01-29 16:21:47
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next