View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2017-06-25 14:13:46

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Law school "simulated" situation materials? 

To what extent would I have copyright over some law school classroom materials?

The main files are an IFW and patents off the USPTO website. I wouldn't have copyright in these in and of themselves, but they're public documents, so AFAIK I'm allowed to use them (to whatever extent the authors do retain any copyright rights, I'd scream "fair use" repeatedly). I also have some screenshots of websites -- here, copyright resides in the website owners and/or photographers for these, but I have a strong "fair use" case since these materials are extremely limited and are being used solely for academic purposes.

The hypo I've drawn up is mine, of course. But is my compilation of the other materials copyrighted? Should I anonymize the materials (lots of work, and couldn't be done in an effective manner -- anyone could search under the titles, phrases in the abstracts/specs, etc.) by removing identifying names/dates/numbers, and would that change anything?

I've found a few articles on the web relating to the subject. Am I allowed to include these in the packet, link to these, or otherwise refer to them? I would of course keep the original authors' attributions; they would be reprinted intact (with a cover sheet if necessary to give proper attribution).

Two of my classes during law school (both patent litigation related) used real-world cases, but tried to hide the real patentees and companies. I believed that the rationale was to make it a little harder for students to simply perform a Google(R) search to find out how things played out in the real world, but in both cases (AFTER the classes were over) it was pretty trivial to find them. (I was rather gratified to learn that a design-around idea that I'd had was part of the infringer's appeal; the appellate court's decision refused to speculate on it, though).

2012-01-24 18:53:11
Patent Practitioner

Michael,

I don't have an answer but would like to offer two considerations:
1) attribution alone is not enough to blanket anyone from copyright infringement
2) control of derivative works should be investigated

2012-01-31 09:30:05
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]